Friday, February 10, 2012

How Often are you on the Phone?

An important lesson that I learned from working door-to-door sales & service was how to play the numbers game.


Specifically, if I was dropped off on a route with 500 houses between all my streets, I would have to make an attempt to hit every house on my route - otherwise, I might be missing out on those homeowners that want to say YES.

Typically in any sales environment, most consultants / salespeople will never achieve a yes / no ratio of more than 1:10.  This is a fixed ratio ... so how do you increase sales?  You do so by increasing the number of houses you go to; the number of calls you make.  You'll still keep that ratio of 1:10 .. but you'll increase your sales by having a 1:10 ratio over 500 calls, not 50.

That's a big difference.

I've taught many consultants the power and importance of this rule - of tracking your calls, and conversations - and showing how it increases your results.  To truly make an impact in your sales numbers, you need to be on the phone as much as possible. The outside sales organization I worked with had a slogan - Run All Day. This wasn't a fancy catchphrase - it was an order.  Those who followed it made more money, because they talked to more people, and increased their prospects.

Being on the phone all day is not possible if you're not prepared.  With outside sales, that part is taken care of for you - all the houses are right in front of you.  When you work in an office, you have to build your neighbourhood, i.e., your call list.

I recommend building a list like this every day for the next day, and the day after that.  Come to the office two hours earlier and have the list ready to go by 8:00 or 9:00.  The difference it makes is tremendous.

Does anyone else have ideas as to how to maximize your effectiveness during the day?  I'd love to see you guys share tips below.